Happy first day of the Australian Summer guys,
December is that time of the year where the Advent calendars line the shelves in the stores and they make you feel ready to get into the Christmas cheer. Ever since I was a child I’ve loved having one every year to countdown to Christmas.
This year I came across a great idea to make my own Christmas advent calendar and decorate it with my favourite ingredients. A few weeks ago I was reading my favourite magazine (Donna Hay) and I saw that she created a Christmas tree using wooden twigs found in the garden.
I made these spicy cookies with my favourite gingerbread recipe.
Enjoy it and have fun!
- 1 Cup Soy flour
- 1 Cup Unbleached white spelt
- 1 Cup Wholemeal flour
- 3 t All spice
- 2 t Cinnamon
- 4 t Ginger
- ¼ t Salt
- ¼ t Black pepper
- 2 t Turmeric
- ¼ t Bicarbonate
- ¼ t Xylitol
- ½ Cup honey
- ½ Cup Coconut Oil
- ¼ Cup Water
- 1 t Vanilla
- 100g Dark chocolate (decoration)
- Preheat oven to 165°C (325°F).
- Sift together all of the dry ingredients.
- Mix the wet ingredients all together and pour them into the dry ingredients and make a dough.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for 30-40 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to about ¼ inch thick and cut into stars with your favourite cutters.
- Place on trays allowing space to spread.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and allow them to stand until they are firm enough to move to a wire rack.
- After the cookies are cool make a small hole with a toothpick. This is where you can hang the golden string.
- Finally, you can decorate the cookies with some melted dark chocolate and you can hang them to your Twig Christmas tree.