Happy Australia Day people!
Lamington is a typical Australian treat and it’s one of the best desserts for your Australia day (26th of January) or for your morning and afternoon teas.
Today I decided to make them to celebrate this public holiday with Jeremy, friends and family.
Everyone loved these fluffy sponges dipped in dark chocolate and rolled in coconut. They’re delicious and not too heavy (which makes it a bit hard to stop just at one!).
Give them a go!
- 250g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 300ml thickened cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- 3 cups icing sugar mixture
- 2 tablespoons dark cocoa
- 30g butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup water, boiling
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line base and sides of a 20 x 30cm slice pan with baking paper.
- Use electric beaters to beat butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in eggs well, 1 at a time.
- Fold the mix in flour and milk until well combined. Pour into prepared pan. Smooth over and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Cut into 10-15 squares. Set a wire rack over a tray.
- Use electric beaters with a whisk attachment to whisk cream and vanilla bean paste in a bowl until firm peaks form. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star nozzle. Use a serrated knife to cut the lamingtons horizontally.
- Spread 2 tsp of jam on 1 cut side of lamington. Pipe cream on top. Top with remaining lamington half. Place carefully on a tray. Repeat with remaining lamingtons, jam and cream. Place tray in the fridge for 30 minutes, to set the cream.
- Place coconut on a plate and place icing sugar, cocoa and butter in a heatproof bowl. Pour over boiling water. Stir until melted and combined.
- Place a cake square in choc coating. Use 2 forks to turn to coat. Remove and allow excess coating to drain off. Roll in coconut to coat. Place on wire rack for 30 minutes to set. Repeat with remaining cake squares, cocoa mixture and coconut and serve.