Good afternoon folks!
Recently I found at my local organic shop an ingredient that I have never used before – GREEN BANANA FLOUR.
What is banana flour? It’s basically dried bananas, ground up very fine! Does it taste like banana? Surprisingly no, it holds it’s own unique earthy flavor.
This flour is the latest wonder food. Basically this green banana flour could be a healthier way to satisfy your carb cravings because it contains resistant starch, a type of carbohydrate which behaves like fibre. And because resistant starch cannot be completely absorbed by the body, we take fewer calories from it. So this could be you guilt-free treat!
Also this starch helps to control our blood sugar levels and keep us fuller for longer.
Before you start to use this flour there is a quick list of things to keep in mind:
- You need a binding agent (i.e. eggs).
- Aim to put forward a substitution of 1/2 cup – 3/4 cup banana flour to every 1 cup gluten-based flour in recipes.
- Cook for less time than the original recipe.
I love the earthy taste of these TRIPLE BANANA MUFFINS! These are perfect for snacks, picnics or parties and they will satisfy a sweet craving for sure.
Enjoy these guilt-free muffins and let me know what you think about it.
- 1 cup banana flour
- 2/3 cup wholemeal flour
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 banana chips
- pinch of sea sal
- Heat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Place muffin cups into a muffin tray and set aside.
- Place all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and combine well.
- Scrape the muffin mixture into the prepared tin and put on top of every muffin a banana chip to give a bit of crunch.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Serve warm.