Happy Bastille Day people!
Today I want to share with you this delicious choux à la crème, my favourite french pastry!
These delicate little fancies with their sweet, velvety filling and rich chocolate topping are the perfect way to celebrate Bastille Day!
The recipe is surprisingly easy to make so give it a go!
- 100g butter
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour, sifted
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups thickened cream
- 6 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- Preheat oven 190°C (370°F) and lightly grease 2 baking trays. Use a bowl to draw 20cm-diameter circles on 2 sheets of baking paper. Place paper on the trays.
- Heat the butter and water in a saucepan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes and add the flour. Use wooden spoon to beat for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl to cool down.
- Beat the eggs one by one into the cool flour mixture, beating well until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Spoon half of the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1.8 cm plain round nozzle. Pipe 12 puffs, about 5 cm wide, around one of the marked circles. Using a finger moistened with water, smooth out any peaks on top of the profiterole puffs.
- Bake for 45-50 min until puffed and golden. reduce the heat to 100°C (210°F) and bake for a further 10 minutes.
- When the profiterole rings are cool, cut them in half horizontally.
- For the ganache, place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Heat the cream, sugar in a small saucepan over high heat for 3-4 minutes. Set aside for 5 minutes to melt the chocolate. Stir until combined and smooth.
- Use electric beaters to beat the cream, icing sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until firm peaks form. Spoon the cream onto the ring bases and top with remaining pastry halves.
- Place 1 ring of profiteroles on a serving plate. Drizzle with the chocolate ganache and top with the remaining ring and finally drizzle with the remaining chocolate ganache.
NOTE: If you want you can decorate the PROFITEROLE WREATH with french macarons .